Saturday, September 10, 2011

The Latest on Lincoln

Lincoln is 16 1/2 mo. old now, but had his 15 month check up a month ago and he has changed a lot in the last little bit. I was just waiting to post anything because

1. I'm backed up (wait, clarification - the BLOG is backed up... NOT me :) and
2. We were waiting to find out more from some screenings that we had done for his speech before posting anything.

Long story short - we're a little concerned with Lincoln's speech development.

We addressed the concern with our Ped and she screened him and he qualified for a referral to Provo Early Intervention Program (PEIP, pronounced "peep").

PEIP has come out 4 times now and through further screening Lincoln has qualified for speech help. The program's not free for us, but based on income and family size we're paying $30 per month for assistance, which is a tremendous blessing.

In order to qualify for the program, a child's area of development has to be in the lowest 7% in any major area (gross motor, fine motor, cognitive, self-help, speech, etc). Lincoln tested in the 1% for expressive speech and in the bottom 7% in three other areas, which is most likely due to his lag in communication. They're hoping those scores will improve once communication improves.

For now we're trying not to focus on finding and speculating the "why" of the situation but just trying to get him talking and communicating more consistently.

We've met our speech lady, Shay, and she's super and we're excited to start working with her this next week. Focused on our concerns, she and our program facilitator have written some great goals that we're excited to work towards with Lincoln and our family as a whole.

Shay will come out 2 times each month for now to work with us and really teach Ben and me specifics and techniques that we can use all the time with Linc. Also available to us as part of this qualification are two separate classes that we (I) can attend weekly for the next 10 weeks. I was going to do another tri at the end of this month but decided to pass on it to have more one-on-one time working with Lincoln (where Id' otherwise be training). Now hearing about the classes available I'm so glad I chose against the tri. It will be busy but I am so excited to make progress with Linc.


Here are some fun details about Lincoln:

I forgot to post anything about this, but he's officially done with the helmet. He only ended up wearing it for 2 1/2 months. And he's had two hair cuts since then and is ready for another.

Here Jackie just gave Lincoln and me a hair cut.


Love this picture - he got this toy for his birthday and figured out one day that he could hide under it. Then he'd start crawling and it looked like the toy was just moving by itself. It was pretty funny to watch.
He's getting so independent - he loves eating with a fork.


I love clean little boys in their jammies.
He loves getting into the bottom drawer where the kid plates, cups and bowls are stored. He loves setting the table.

This kid climbs on EVERYTHING. And fast. This was the first time I saw him climb on the couch by himself. I left the room and when I came back he was just chillin' there by himself.

He has become really attached to his Woofy(stuffed animal dog) and for comfort he will find Woofy's fave and mush his face into Woofy's and nuzzle with him. It's really cute to watch.

He thinks Logan's toys are much cooler than his own. Cars and tools especially.



He's tall and skinny - duh. But he did move up from the 8th percentile to the 11th in weight. He finally weighs over 20 lbs! He's been in his infant seat this whole time (and actually loves it there).

Hates sitting for longer than 10 seconds. If we want to sing a song to him before bed then we have to stand and hold him, and even then, we barely make it through one song.



Recently obsessed with books.

Just tonight he made a monkey sound for the second time and he can sign "more," "all done," and "please" but doesn't understand their context yet.

He's a BIG mama's boy. All. The. Time.

He still passes out sometimes but it's not nearly as frequent.

Only 5 more Sundays until Nursery!

4 comments:

Em and Ms said...

He sure is a cute little guy! I'm glad you're getting the help you need. Just curious--what was it that made you concerned there was a problem in his speech? Mason is 18 months this week (yay--our last Sunday before nursery today!) and really doesn't talk at all yet. So I'm just wondering if it's something I should look into.

Katie said...

What a cutie! Good luck with the speech therapy starting. Sounds like you guys will be busy.

Kristy said...

I'm so glad the evaluation went well and that you're getting some help! He's such a cute little guy. I love the countdown til nursery--it really can't come fast enough, huh!

Stephanie Salmon said...

I hope the speech therapy helps! Thanks for your comments on my blog. Mckinley was actually super mellow at Lagoon and so I was tickling her to get her to smile. Ha ha ha. And about the spare time, I know! I don't know what we did before she came. I guess we worked. Then watched TV. And that was about it. I was looking at her the other day though and thinking how much she has changed my life and how grateful I am for her. Even if I can't have any more kids, I am so glad to have her!