Monday, May 2, 2011

Easter Activities

Easter was so fun this year! Because the holiday was later in the month than usual, we had more time to celebrate and Logan really got into Easter this year and was so excited about everything.

I put together a last-minute Easter egg hunt on Friday for the moms in our ward with younger toddlers and preschoolers. It seems like the little ones get trampled in the big public egg hunts so I wanted to give the kiddos their own egg hunt, just their size.

All the moms brought 10 eggs per child to the park and while the kids played, a few of us "hid" (in plain sight) the eggs. Then we unleashed them to go hunt, and everyone walked away with 10. It was super fun and luckily weather cooperated.

The only bummer? Logan was sick, or something, yet again. This is how he looked the whole time...

He had a sudden headache and a bloody nose the night before, then he woke up and just wasn't himself that day. He was still begging to go, and I knew he wouldn't be playing on the toys or be touching any of the kids, so I decided he would be ok to go. He wanted me to push him in the stroller everywhere and when it came time to make a mad dash for the eggs, he just stood there and cried. :-( I felt so bad for him when all the kids were running past him with their Easter baskets, so I put him in the stroller and tried my best to run as fast as I could with a double stroller through thick grass toward the corner of the park where the eggs were, just so he could feel somewhat included. Then when we got to the eggs, he got out of the stroller and would walk slowly to find an egg, and then stand there for another minute before moving on. Poor thing. Nothing ever came of his sick day, so weird.

Lincoln, on the other hand, loved it! I love this picture because you can see Lincoln in the middle of nowhere, where he sat totally content with his one egg the whole time.

The boys and their loot. Logan squeaked out a smile for me.

Afterward, all the kids and moms hung out talking while the kids looked through their eggs.

Saturday we did the ritual egg-dying. This is my favorite part about Easter fun, I don't know why. Maybe it's because we always did this growing up? Maybe it's the smell of the vinegar (... or not). Maybe it's seeing what fun colors you can mix? All of the above? Either way, egg dying is so nostalgic for me and I love it.


Proof that Linc was there for about 5 minutes before going to bed. Cranky face.

Weirdo. We didn't do nearly as many eggs as I wanted to. Oh well.

What nerds we are. These were the little egg holders that came with our egg-dying kit. We couldn't resist.

Logan also made some paper mache eggs (filled with candy of course) for some of his Sunbeamer friends. I did this years ago with my sisters and it was so fun to recreate these again.


Filling the boys' Easter baskets was another favorite part for me. I love being sneaky and leading my child to believe that a large, white, over-sized bunny came to our house, broke in, and left all sorts of magical things in his Eater basket.
It was pretty cute because before Lo went to bed I told him to set his and Linc's baskets out for the Easter Bunny to fill. I walked into the kitchen to find him closing the outside door. I asked what he was doing and he said he had to leave the baskets on the porch so the Easter Bunny could get to them.

Easter morning. Luckily the Bishop canceled meetings that morning so Ben could be home and spend time with us.

Linc cared more about the grass and the basket than anything else.

Lo's favorite part? His Monkey George band-aids of course.


Since Ben was home that morning we were also able to do our Easter egg hunt and family pictures before church.




Quoting Abba-Dabba: "I not eatin' da dirt!"
There was an egg hidden in my chives... did Linc care about the egg? Why, of course not. He went right for the dirt in my flower pot.



We had Easter dinner on our own this year and Logan has been begging me to make "bunny bread" that he saw in the Friend magazine a couples weeks earlier.
So as promised, here we are with our bunny breads.



Dinner time. I made ham, funeral potatoes, deviled eggs, strawberries, green beans and bunny bread rolls and chocolate pie for dessert.

Paper towel flowers that I made with the egg dye the night before.


And I couldn't resist making bunnies our of our napkins. And this gave us an excuse to get our china out. This china used to belong to Ben's parents, but they got new china (or maybe it's because they just eat on all their pottery now?), so Jera offered this set to us when we got married. I love the delicate pink pattern on them.

What a face. I love Easter and I love my Logan bunny even more. I love that because of the reason for Easter (Christ's atonement, death and resurrection) I have the chance to be with my family forever. I love them so much and couldn't imagine having to give them up after our short lives end on this Earth. Happy Easter.



5 comments:

Stephanie Salmon said...

Wow, I am thoroughly impressed! You went all out for Easter. Way to go. Your dinner looks awesome. I should have stopped by to "visit". Ha ha ha.

Kaye said...

I love Ben's apron.

And you are the cutest, funnest mom ever. Great memories for your guys.

Lee and Sharon said...

I thought about making the bunny bread too but ran out of time and energy so just went to Great Harvest and bought a bunny bread from them.
Love all the pictures and seeing your fun times. What wonderful memories you are making

Kristy said...

Wow! You had a great weekend! I'm a little sad that I didn't get the chance to do more for Easter because it really is such a great holiday. Next year, right?

Erin McSpadden said...

man i totally forgot about those paper eggs! how fun