Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Robots

I have a friend who has a live-wire child like Logan and she put it well... she said, "If he doesn't have a project to work on he'll go make his own project." Very well put.

If Logan doesn't have something to work on and focus on and has interactive help focusing on something, then he wanders aimlessly, explores and makes naughty choices. :-)

I try to have structure here at home, but it seems that only so much is possible in between feedings, getting ready for the day, running errands, changing diapers, cleaning up messes, cooking, etc. But realizing how much better Logan does with more structure, I recommitted myself to teaching him more and providing more activities for him here at home.

To give me a springboard for ideas and direction, I have decided to have a theme each week to focus on and do one thing each day revolving around that theme. For example, themes for September are water, flags, robots, bugs and trees/flowers. This is nothing fancy - I'm going for simplicity, but I figure this is better for Logan than nothing.

Last week was Robots week so based on this idea from No Time For Flashcards (I love this site!) we made these felt flannel board Robots:

I was going to make the magnetic kind just like the website, but after days of unsuccessful attempts to make it to the craft store, I decided to just use what I already had on hand. Plus Logan loves his well-used flannel board!

Step 1: cut Robot body parts out of felt


Step 2: glue eyes together and glue the ears to the robot heads


Logan's job was to take pictures :-)


step 3: create robots over and over and over again. Easy peasy!

3 comments:

Lee and Sharon said...

That is totally awesome Kris.
I think Logan is very much like Ben who also needs projects to keep him busy. You would be great at homeschooling.

Katie said...

what a creative mom!! you never cease to amaze me!

Erin McSpadden said...

super cute kris!