Monday, June 7, 2010

Please Help

We're asking a big favor from friends and family -- see below and keep reading please.

Well it happened. Our external hard drive crashed.

*The hard drive that's holding ALL of our photos from the past two years? Yep, that's the one.
*The hard drive that has photos documenting 2/3rds of Logan's life? Yep, that's the one.
*The hard drive that's less than a year old? Yep, that's the one.The hard drive that we were told could cost $600 to $2,000 to restore? Yep, that's the one.
*The hard drive that we don't have that much money to fix? Most definitely, that's the one.


We thought a man from our ward would be able to repair it for much less, but no such luck. He said it has to be REBUILT if we want any of those photos.... costing thousands of dollars. We don't have the money for that, assuming it could even be rebuilt and photos resurrected. I can't even think about what this means without balling my eyes out. (And of course Ben gave me this news right before Primary today when I had to give sharing time and I couldn't keep myself together at all).

What does this mean? It means that besides the measly amount of photos that I've posted here, I have no physical memory or reminder of our lives over the past two years. I don't scrap book, and I'm awful at journaling and blogging. So this leaves us with very little. I'm heart broken.

Holiday photos, birthday photos, family reunion photos, special firsts for Logan that can never be redone, all gone. All of Ben's cycling races he's competed in and so proud of - gone. My awesome trip to New York - gone. Videos of Logan, tracking his development, showing how he talked, moved, walked, etc. as he has gotten older - gone. Special funny times with Logan spent at home - gone.

And I think those random ones of Logan are the ones I'll miss most, because I can't even remember what they are! There's nothing to reminisce with, because I've taken the photo and then forgotten the funny little things he's done. Instead of journaling about it, or scrapbooking about my sweet boy, I've just taken the photo and done nothing with it, and now there is nothing. Stupid, stupid me.

Luckily, all of the photos of Lincoln's birth until now are on Ben's laptop and our camera still. It's just poor Logan who will be missing two years of his life in photos and videos.

From then:



until now:

Nothing.

So here's the huge favor I'm asking of all our friends and family:

Could you please go through your photos and pass on to us any pictures that include us over the past couple years? To be specific, from May 2008 until now. I know that's asking a lot, but without these we have no memories to pass on to Logan or to remember down the road and look back on. Please, please, please. I would be so grateful for any pictures we get.

Also, if you have any advice, recommendations or info on rebuilding a hard drive, please enlighten us.


Although it doesn't take away the pain of our carelessness, we have learned our lesson... we will definitely back up our photos much more frequently now.

And for anyone still reading this who hasn't backed up their photos, go and do it now. Learn from our stupid mistake.

6 comments:

Tamara said...

Kris - I have LOTS of pictures from our family stuff with Logan in them. Lets just plan a night for you to come over with a bunch of CD's and you can burn them.

Stephanie Salmon said...

I will have to talk to Brandon about this. Our computer crashed and his friend Tyler fixed it for free. But somehow the photos he saved were from Brandon's mission and we lost all the pictures from our first year of marriage. We would have lost all our wedding ones as well but luckily they were on the laptop too. I don't know if Tyler would be willing to do it, or if he has time, but I'll definitely ask. I learned my lesson and I have all my pictures from 2007 to now burned onto CDs. Well, I don't have my 2010 ones burned on to CD's but I have them on my flash drive and my computer so hopefully that's good enough. That totally BITES. I wonder what the best way to back up pictures is. I hate burning them onto a million CD's. If you find a better way, let me know.

Emily said...

This same thing happened to us a few months ago, in February. And I was and still am pretty upset about it. I was grateful for all the random places I had uploaded photos to, like Costco for prints, Facebook, etc. I don't have many of you guys- just a couple maybe but I could send them your way. I'm sorry. I really am. :(

Katy said...

Oh no! That is terrible. Recently we had some friends in a similar situation, so I have been better about backing up all our videos and pictures on CD. I have family reunion pictures, but I am sure you can get those from Tamara or Jera. Let me know though, if you need them. I am so sorry!

Kaye said...

You know I have gazillions of our Parker/Nelson gatherings including his third birthday, and most likely, his first and second too. Plus Halloween and other holidays. My computer won't let me burn things to CDs (it's old and needs to be fixed) but I can email sets of photos to you and you should have CDs from some of those times together. I know Jera has CDs we burned from time to time. We'll reconstruct - don't despair! Love ya!

Mindy, Evan and Davis said...

I will definatly look kris.