Friday, April 10, 2009

While Recovering

The day after I got my wisdom teeth out, I felt like getting out of the house. I woke up that morning and told Jera, "I feel like sewing. Can we sew something today?" Wow. And sew we did.
She happened to have with her a pattern for an Amy Butler bag that was adorable, so off we went to the fabric store.

Well, this pattern for a bag was not intended for a mother, so Jera tweeked it in order to convert it into a diaper bag/purse. She pimped this purse out to make it more realistic and this resulted in scrimping and scrapping every bit of fabric and pelon that we had. What I thought would be an afternoon project turned out to be a two day adventure for me and Tamara, who also made one.
This is what I spent most my time doing while I was recovering. What is it about creating something with your hands that is so therapeutic?

(Note: I have to say, I'm not posting this for bragging rights, I'm posting because I so darn proud of myself for actaully finishing a project and that I started. Not a common occurrence).

The finished project:


Looks simple on the outside, right?


This is the cleanest my purse has ever been.
We added a bottom and side insert to make the bag wider, a row of pockets (personalized to fit diapers and sippy cups of course), a cell phone pocket with a snap, and a key chain hook.



Plus, with all the scraps I made a small diaper-to-go carrier, zipper clutch and a check book cover. I have never scrimmped and scrapped fabric to the bare bones like this to make something. It was awesome.


My favorite, the checkbook cover.
Thanks Jera for all your help, patience, guidance and hand holding along the way! It was an exhaustingly good time.

6 comments:

Stephanie Salmon said...

Wow. I'm thoroughly impressed. So cute!

Katy said...

Wow! Everything turned out so cute! I loved it all!

Lee and Sharon said...

I love the purse Kris. What fun to have someone to help take away the pain and then have something to show for it in the end.
You are a lucky girl!

Maegan said...

kris, your checkbook/wallet thing is so cute!! the flower is the best. you really are amazing! if you wanted to brag, you'd have all the rights in the world.

Going Full Hippie said...

I love sewing! It's fun to see the things you can come up with when faced with that last tid-bit of fabric. And it all turned out so well, good job!

Erin McSpadden said...

kris, you rock. the bag is so cute and i have to say my fav is the checkbook cover too!
good job