Saturday, April 25, 2009

Green Please

No this ins't a post on "going green" or being eco-friendly. Well, actaully maybe it is. Anyway, I just wanted to share my latest excitement for GARDENING.

Last year, mid-summer Ben built some great planter boxes so I could do some square-foot gardening, but it was too late in the season to really grow anything. So this year i have been so pumped to actually be able to plant lettuce, spinach, onions, tomatoes, herbs, cucumbers, etc. I've been bitten by the gardening bug. My goal is to be able to make and can salsa from my garden. We'll see.

I saw this adorable Gardening Journal on Studio 5 the other day and decided I needed to make one. I improvised a bit, but I LOVE it so far! I have my garden plotted out, tips on gardening, places for notes, supplies needed and pictures. Ok, maybe this is all a bit nerdy? Oh well. Bring on the green.

I really have to give my parents a standing-O for all the hard work that they (and supposedly us kids) put into their HUGE garden each year growing up. I'm finding my measly 74 sq foot garden so daunting thus far, I don't know how they managed to tend a garden half the size of their backyard!

Here are my humble beginnings... Don't click to enlarge. It's really not much to look at. :-)


(and in case you were wondering...yes half of ourbackyard is black top. so child friendly. not.)

And one more thing... I have to publicly apologize to my neighbors for my horrendous front yard. We are growing quite the assortment of weeds in our flower beds and not much else. It really is pretty ugly to look at. I promise I'll get there after I'm done in the back yard.

Here's wishing you all a happy gardening season!

7 comments:

Andrea said...

Good for you, Kris! It's good to have a hobby like that- I've been bugging Nick to let me grow some things in our little front yard, but it's a no go so far. Good luck- save me some salsa!

Lee and Sharon said...

Kristi has a mountain top of enthusiasm and that alone is a good beginning. Go get'm girl!
Looks good so far - just make sure
they get a good amount of warm sunshine. Dad has planted his lettuce and onions in the raised bed. It got down to 28 the other night but they did okay. He has some squash planted in an egg carton that we put outside each day in the sun and bring in at night. He bought 3 tomato plants but it's still too early here to put anything outside. They say by the middle to end of May or when the snow is pretty much gone from Mica Peak. We will be doing more a little later on.
Keep us updated with pictures.

Andy said...

looks good Kris. I can't wait to start mine. Hey and blacktop isn't so bad - Logan will love it when he can draw with chalk and wants to ride his bike around.

Unknown said...

Make sure Logan eats cherry tomatoes right out of the garden. Oh and rotten apples. And eggshells.

Nelka said...

I love gardening of any sort. I'm really wishing I had any plot of land to push around and mess with. I think it's great that you used a garden-planning journal. What a great idea. (some day. . .)

Katie and Jason said...

I'm impressed. you'll have to give us tips before we plant ours this summer. We are doing a huge plot this summer before we move! Way to go Kris!

Katy said...

Good luck! We did a square foot garden last year and it was awesome! We are looking forward to doing it again this year.