Saturday, October 30, 2010

Mottos

A few years ago I decided to adopt an annual motto for myself each year. The first time I opted to do this my motto was, "Simplify" and I found myself reciting that over and over again. I still do.

The year after that and this year again, I decided my motto would be the old adage, "Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without." I've been trying to be a little more frugal and realize that most of my "needs" are not really needs at all.


While checking sister's blog, I just read her comments (hope you don't mind Mindy!):


"So I finished two pages today, little by little is my new theme in life. Little by little my patience grows, the house gets clean, my cooking gets better, my money is saved for Christmas, my calling things get done, I return calls and emails and get laundry done. By doing things little by little I am finding that more gets done."



This hit home when I read it. I find that I constantly have an on going list of projects to complete. In fact, I am almost done with a project right now that, when done, will help me keep track of projects. A project to keep track of more projects? Ironic and pathetic, I know. I have lots of 5 and 10 minute increments of time throughout my day but I never feel that those little breaks are enough time to accomplish much on my projects. Perhaps I'm wrong.

I find myself often overwhelmed by the big things on my to-do lists. Then I find myself having emotional melt downs because I don't even know where to start. I remember this happened in high school. I was crying and freaking out because I had way too much to do and not enough time to do it. I didn't know where to start.

Then I remember my Dad sitting me down and counseling with me. He told me that I can only do one thing at a time. He told me to just pick one small thing to do, forget the rest of my list, and just focus on that one task. Then when it's done, move on to the next. Small steps, one thing at a time. Every time I find there's not enough room in my day planner to write down everything that has to be done that day, I think of my Dad and his advice 10 years ago.

"Now ye may suppose that this is foolishness in me; but behold I say unto you, that by small and simple things are great things brought to pass; and small means in many instances doth confound the wise." Alma 37:6



So I know it's a bit early to be thinking about New Years Resolutions, but I think "little by little" would be a good motto for myself next year. Thanks Mindy. Thanks Dad.

4 comments:

Lee and Sharon said...

Think of Dad often - he always sees things in a different light and has really good advise. I love your blog kris. You have "always" been a busy girl - even in your little night time prayers you would go on for hours and hours - Always a lot on your list. I wish I had a lot on my list now - but some days I don't even have a list because life is so much the same every day.
Love your blog again????

Katie said...

What a great motto!! Maybe I will take it on as well. ;)

Tiffany Johnson said...

Kris. thanks for posting this. I needed it. Bad.

Mindy, Evan and Davis said...

ha ha, thank kristi for picking a photo of me with no make up and day old hair, just kidding. I had just ended a melt down when I sat down and wrote that blog. I was in a RS presidency meeting when the pres. told me about a quilt she had gotten done. I said "how did you find time to do that"? She told me it took a long time but every day she would work five to ten min. on it. So I started applying that to my life. I am excited that you will be taking it on also. Love you sis now get back to your list!