Friday, September 12, 2008

Countdown to NY





It is hard to imagine that in 4 days I will be here!



Long story short, a girl's weekend was scheduled to take place in San Diego with two of my best girl friends from high school (Katie and Mel). And due to unforseen circumstances, Mel had to stay put in Ithaca, NY, where she currently lives. So for some crazy reason Katie and I decided we should go surprise her in New York instead. Except we needed her help in planning, so the surprise factor went down the drain.

After many, many, many hours of scouring through the internet tryng to conquer the crazy world of "touring in New York City," my head is ready to explode. I am excited and giddy, yet terrified out of my mind! I have no idea what to expect and the fact that I will have my 1 year old in a completely strange city that I've only seen on tv doesn't help.

We are flying into JFK and staying in NYC for a day and a half before moving 5 hours eastward to Ithaca. While in NYC, we are staying at an apartment in Woodside (Queens) where a family rents out the master bedroom as a vacation rental (found through craigslist...an amazingly popular option for housing in NY). The End. That's as much as we have planned.

So here's the challenge: safely packing in everything we possibly can while in New York City (considering we'll have Logan with us) into a day and a half! Does anyone have ideas, tips, advice, warnings for us?

10 comments:

Em and Ms said...

How fun! You will have a great time I'm sure. I highly recommend the double decker bus tour. It's a little pricey, but definitely worth it and saves your feet. You can hop on and off at any of the different sites and spend time there. Things were pointed out to us that we never would have known. Another thing we enjoyed was Staten Island Ferry. It gives you great views of the statue of liberty and it's free! Definitely go into Central Park and wander around a while. Oh, and decide before you go that you're just going to spend money on some things. It will make your trip a lot more fun. Good luck!

Samye said...

Depends on exactley what your budget is. But I would suggest, The Empire State Bldg, FAO Swartz toy shop (your son would love playing there), shop at Century 21, go to Little Italy and eat almost anywhere there (pretty amazing food)....um... Central park has a great restaurant too called Tavern on the Green (yummy). use the tube as much as possible- it is easy and pretty cheap. Walking will be fun too- as you can see all the different sites. Let me know if you have any questions- I have been there alot!

Andy said...

I am completely jealous. My only tip is to take tons of pictures so I can see it all when you get back!

Katy said...

How fun! I have always wanted to go to NYC. Be safe. Can't wait to hear about your adventure!

Mindy, Evan and Davis said...

um, have fun bring snacks for Logan because he will get hungry while you shop. I know you kris, it takes you forever to make up your mind on what to buy, so take snacks for logan because he will be there a long time :-) love you, have fun, be safe & can't wait to see pics.

Katie The Lady said...

Oh my Goodness! That sounds crazy! I have no advice to offer, but wish you the best of luck in your unplanned, superfast trip!!!

melissa said...

I've never been to NYC so i'll be excited to hear what you end up doing! i missed seeing you in UT when we were there-gotta love family reunions :) hope you have fun (and the little toddler makes it not too hard!!)

david santos said...

Very nice picturs!
Excellent inspiration.
Congratulations!!!!!

Tiffany Johnson said...

You are SO brave! I hope you had fun... by saying HOPE I mean that we haven't hung out FOREVER so I have no idea how you've been and I feel like a horrible friend for that. Let's get together soon!

Toby and Tammy said...

Can't wait to hear all about your trip. I saw Katie's post and it sure looks like you guys had a great time!