Sunday, January 6, 2008

Traditions and Food

So, it seems like a common thread running through most of our family traditions is FOOD! While we were in Spokane we felt the need to pack in every tradition we could into the 2-week period, so we found ourselves eating a lot and a lot of crap at that! This trip sure didn't help my efforts to lose the last of my baby weight, but it sure was tasty!

Right over the ID border there is a fancy resort in Coeur d'lene that puts up great Christmas lights out around the boardwalk walk each year, and each year we've made a tradition of going out into the freezing cold to walk around the boardwalk to see them all.

Well...the real reason we go to see the resort lights is for the dessert afterwards! These babies are huge! Our favorite is the Butterfinger Sundae... I mean if you're gonna eat a sundae then you should eat a SUNDAE, right? The dish was larger than Logie's head.


Thank goodness for Williams Sonoma who make these wonderful little ice cream sandwich makers. My mom and I tested them out and had a blast. Thanks for the fun gift, Mom and Dad!


Then there was the girl's brunch at my sister's house (in the middle below). Two of my sisters, my mom and I and all the kids had yummy soup and salad and other delectable delights while doing what girls do best...talking. :-)

And then there was the New Year's Eve fondue bash! We had large quantities of meats, veggies and tempura for our oil and broth fondue pots, not to mention all the specialty cheeses and crackers, salads and bread. Then my sister broke out the twinkies and oreos which were dipped in pancake batter and deep-fried-fondued. Props to my sis, they were actually good! And to top it off, as the party went on my Dad made his famous scones which are so delicious!


No pic to document this one, but we also have a tradition of getting burgers at d.lish where they throw a whole slice of onion onto your burger. Needless to say I am surprised I came home weighing the same as I did before!

5 comments:

Stephanie Salmon said...

Very impressed with the post, Kristi! And man, from the sound of things, you'd think your whole family would be obese! But you all look great. Sounds like a fun holiday. :)

Tiffany Johnson said...

Love all the pictures! I'm so glad you posted some on here. I'll have to come see the rest sometime. A whole slice of onion? Holy smokes! I WOULD have gained a pound just by eating that! :-) But as usual, you still look adorable and tiny.. no matter what you do!

melissa said...

wow-sounds really intense--i FULLY support any food traditions! they're the best :-) and as for baby weight...hmm...hope you have more success than me :-) (although i'm now an avid jogger!) looks like you had tons of fun!

Lee and Sharon said...

Thanks for sharing your pictures - and that's exactly what Dad has been saying since Christmas. We sure did eat a lot!!

Live everyday to its fullest said...

Oh Kristi...how fun! Dont you just love going home for visits? So I totally stumbled on your blog a couple days ago and thought I'd say Hi and your Son is soooo adorible!