Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Being Crafty

So for some reason, at the end of the summer I thought it would be a fun idea to actually participate in the annual craft fair that Heritage (where Ben works) hosts. It is a small, inexpensive craft fair to participate in, perfect for getting my feet wet in the sport of crafting.

Craft showing (if you'll allow me to turn it into a verb) is a whole other world to experience. After slaving away for a week and a half to prepare enough product to display on one table, I understand why crafts can be so pricey! Of course, I imagine it would be easier having more time to prepare for each fair. It took me a while to decide what to make and to actually get the guts up to do it, hence a full-time job the week before the show. Overall, it was a really fun and liberating experience (there is something about operating a table saw that makes you feel like you can do anything!). I'm not sure whether or not I will continue, I haven't decided that much yet. It is hard to know what people will buy; the items I thought would sell well didn't, and the items I didn't spend much time on, sold the best. Who knew?
A BIG thanks to everyone who supported me in this effort (especially to my mostly patient wood-working teacher, Ben)!

This was my display as you saw it from the entrance. Some of the items I made include brag boards, peg hangers, blocks that say ho ho ho and bebe, sensory tag blankets (my best seller by far) and quilt ladders (my second best-seller).

A better view of the ladders. I actually had made a red one as well, but that was my first thing to sell that morning so it isn't included here.

4 comments:

Stephanie Salmon said...

Wow, I am thoroughly impressed! I could never do that.

Unknown said...

Your stuff was so cute! I really loved it. I hope you continue to do more craft fairs. :)

Megan Erickson said...

Good job Kristi everything looks way cute!I have thought about doing some craft fairs.. maybe next year. We will have to steal each others ideas.. it would work wouldn't it since your in Utah and I am in Washington!

Janae said...

That is so incredible! Your stuff looks cute. Check out etsy.com cuz you could totally sell your stuff on there!