Friday, August 19, 2011

Good Week

It has been a great week.
Actually scratch that.
Great just doesn't do it justice. Other synonyms? Perhaps delightful, heavenly, wonderful, tremendous, eye-opening, smooth or even superb?

Here's why: (in no particular order)

1. I got a new pair of shoes that I have wanted since last Fall.

2. I got beautiful flowers from a thoughtful friend (thanks Kristy!) that totally made my day.

3. I'm currently working on a craft project tonight. Not just working on... but finishing a project. Hi-fives for me. And it's a Christmas present. More hi-fives.

4. I got most of my pictures from the past year backed up (and I'm a picture-aholic, so that's a feat).

5. My mom was in town and I got to spend lots of time with her because...

5. Ben offered to stay home with the boys every night this week so I could go to evening classes at Education Week!

Now, I love my boys. A LOT. But I'm not gonna lie, I don't love the chaos that almost always accompanies dinner time. So, to not only have Ben give me a break from that chaos for a few days but be able to totally fill my reservoir at the same time was AMAZING. I loved every class and it was just the cup of tea my crazy mind needed.

My knowledge of the atonement grew by leaps and bounds, I learned more about parenting, marriage, organizing, communication and food storage. It was heavenly and I am walking away more revived, with new ideas to conquer the everyday struggles and more energy to buoy up my little, huggable family.

And on top of that, it really made me grateful for my season of life right now. The first day I was on campus going to classes this week, I was flooded with emotions of how I felt while going to school there.

I missed that season of my life for a moment.... the season where I was married, without children and I had all day to attend classes and learn. And I even missed (for a split-second) the craziness that came with that time: cramming for tests, lunch on the go, taking the bus to campus, late nights, running across campus to make my next class, etc. But mostly I missed learning new things everyday from other brilliant minds, and being in awe of, and humbled by, how limited and small my little mortal brain is and how much I really don't know.


But it didn't take me long to remember (and be grateful) that that season in my life has passed and that I'm now able to devote all my energy and time to raising my little boys. It's like life just slowly shifted seasons on me and I didn't even see it. I didn't realize how much different of a person I have become until I was on campus again, having flashbacks of my memories from my senior year in 2005.

And while I am so thankful for this new "mommy"season in my life that I get to experience, I am also so, so grateful for all the knowledge I gained in my Home and Family Living classes and the testimony of "the family" that I gained through my studies. I use that information everyday of my life. It's just funny how things work out and how slowly the things right in front of us change without even noticing it.

Anyway, words can't describe how much of an aha-moment it was for me. And speaking of change, this post has now morphed from a brief, 5 sentence post into another rambling novel, void of cute pictures. Ciao.

7 comments:

Dan said...

I love education week on campus - glad you got to go!

Dan said...

that was tamara, sorry I guess I'm logged in as dan.

Unknown said...

Such a great post Kris. I'm so glad you had such a wonderful week and you got to fill your cup. It sounds perfect! I want to see the shoes...

Katie said...

What a great week! Glad you were able to enjoy it and reflect a bit. Life is good.

Tiffany Johnson said...

I'm SO SO SO glad. You deserved and NEEDED a good week and i'm so glad you got it. I wish I had gone to Education Week this year. I say that every year and then I get so angry that I don't. Maybe next year. I'm so happy for you Kris. I want to see the shoes too!!

jera parker said...

You are so gifted in your writing skills. I love reading your blog. I'm glad you are my daughter and that you are making room to enjoy all the seasons of life!

Kaye said...

Sounds like you had a great week! I missed you and your little bubbas. We need to get together to eat some of the crazy candy we brought home from England and look at pics if you want to see our trip! Thanks for writing. It has inspired me to write about our great week (10 days). Loves!