Friday, July 22, 2011

What Does Your Laundry Say About You?


I was out in the back yard yesterday, hanging clothes out to dry on my clothes line. It was hot outside and as sweat was dripping down my back I was amazingly happy, almost giddy. I think I was grinning the whole time.
It was weird.



First I was happy because I finally have a clothesline! Old fashioned? Yes. But I love it because:

1. I grew up with a clothesline.
2. I love the crunchy feel, the crisp linens and fresh smelling towels and clothes.
3. It's faster. Much faster. Our dryer takes at least 2 full cycles to dry one load. At least.
4. Energy efficient. The sun is amazing.

I didn't think we could have one because we didn't have a permanent place for one, but a friend told me about one she had seen that is retractable. Brilliant! This particular one sags a bit, which I don't love, so we (by "we" I mean Ben :) bought some actual clothes line wire and are making our own "retractable" version.

Second, I was thinking of something Grammy said when we were visiting them in Washington. She told me about a cute poem she used to have about how your neighbors could know how you were doing and passers by could tell a lot about you by looking at what laundry was hanging on your clothes line. (see below - I actually found the poem)

And so I started thinking about that as I was hanging up our clothes. I thought, "What does our laundry say about us?" And even though I was in the middle of doing chores I got all sappy and sentimental about laundry. I felt immediate gratitude that I have my boys and that I get to take care of, serve and love them and do all of their laundry too.


My laundry shows I have a house full of boys - lots of blue and little camo outfits.


I smiled as I hung these up...
These mean that I have a little one who is finally potty trained and loves super heroes.

And this little number means that there's a little brother in the house who tries so hard everyday to be like his big brother.


And this blue shirt shows that Ben has been fishing lately, taking full advantage of warm summer days.
And that yellow shirt...
that yellow shirt show I have a boy who is not afraid to play hard and get down and dirty.
That little yellow pocket was full of soggy bark from the park the night before that had made its way through a whole wash cycle. There was bark and dirt head to tow on my boys the night before and the yellow pocket (and the dirt ring left around the bath tub) are evidence of that. :)


See? Even after I emptied the soggy bark there was still some left over.



Now if only doing dishes was this sentimental and enjoyable for me :)


I did a Google search for "clothesline poem" and I actually found the poem that Grammy was talking about - really cute:


A Clothesline Poem
(Anonymous)

A clothesline was a news forecast, to neighbors passing by.
There were no secrets you could keep when clothes were hung to dry.
It also was a friendly link, for neighbors always knew
If company had stopped on by to spend a night or two.
For then you’d see the “fancy” sheets and towels upon the line.
You’d see the “company tablecloth” with intricate design.
The line announced a baby’s birth, from folks who lived inside
As brand-new infant clothes were hung, so carefully with pride!
The ages of the children could so readily by known;
By watching how the sizes changed, you’d know how much they’d grown!
It also told when illness struck, as extra sheets were hung;
Then nightclothes, and a bathrobe, too haphazardly were strung.
It also said, “Gone on vacation now,” when lines hung limp and bare.
It told, “We’re back!” when full lines sagged with not an inch to spare!
New folks in town were scorned upon, if wash was dingy and gray,
As neighbors carefully raised their brows, and looked the other way…
But clotheslines now are of the past, for dryers make work much less.
Now what goes on inside a home is anybody’s guess!
I really miss that way of life - it was a friendly sign;
When neighbors knew each other best by what hung on the line.


6 comments:

Kaye said...

You are just too cute! I love the way you look at life. You are definitely one who thinks outside the box. And now I guess you can say blogs give us a peek into people's lives, just like clotheslines of the past. Hugs.

Katie said...

So cute! I love you Kris. Just reading about your laundry made me smile! :) Clothes lines are cool.

Unknown said...

I love this post Kris! I to am kind of sentimental about clothes lines. I've actually been thinking about that lately (weird). I grew up with them too. I love the idea of a retractable one. I'll have to come check out your design! And I love looking at your adorable laundry. The poem is adorable.

Emily said...

That is a cute post. Thanks for the reminder of how cute and important the little things are. I love the clothes line. You are such a cute mom.

Nelka said...

What a sweet post. I have been wanting to put up a real clothes line for ages because of the energy efficiency, etc. I didn't have one growing up as it is so humid in Houston that I doubt it would have worked, but here clothes dry within an hour. It always seemed like a sentimental type of thing to do, too, but I doubt I could have put it into words like you did. Thanks for sharing!

Lee and Sharon said...

We always had a clothesline Kris.
I loved hanging clothes out too.
I loved how fresh they smelled.
I have a poem from Grandma Johnson that you would dearly love. I will find it for you.