Sunday, April 10, 2011

Ktichen Cabinet Renovations... What Were We Thinking?


My Dad is a pretty smart fellow if you ask me. Every time I get buried in a project I think of him. Why is that? Well, while living at home I distinctly remember him telling me,

"estimate the money it will cost and time it will take to complete a project, then multiply it times three."

I love my Dad for proving to me at an early age that I am capable of building, creating and renovating many things with my own hands. There has ALWAYS been a project that my Dad is working on around the house (or his shop, or his office, or my grandma's house...). Because of this and my Dad's line of work, he knows a thing or two. For sure.

And one thing that he knows for sure is that things always take longer and cost more than you think they will.

Well Dad, your point has been proven, once again.

Case in point:

What we thought would take a week to complete has turned into three and a half, and what we thought would be a minimal-cost-project has certainly not been minimal in the least.

-One trip to the hardware store actually turned into.... um I lost count.
-One gallon of paint turns into two... and should have been 5 gallons.
-An inexpensive spray nozzle from Harbor Freight turned into a rented airless sprayer (and a couple swear words too).
-"Measure twice, Cut once" turned into "Measure twice, Cut once, then patch more wood in because it's still the wrong width."
-One day of paint-drying time turned into days of cold, rainy weather and therefore multiple days of drying time.
yada, yada, yada.

What have we learned?
1. My husband is AMAZING.
2. We discovered the BEST place to buy molding. Good quality, inexpensive and local.
3. Buying cabinet hardware off ebay is the way to go.
4. Why didn't we do this two years ago?
5. Prayers do get answered.
6. People are usually more willing to help than you think they will be.


But do we love the result thus far? Totally and completely.
Has it been worth it? (Are you asking me or Ben?) Yes! And Ben, what's your answer?

More pictures to come when it's completely done in... who knows how many days. :-)

9 comments:

Lee and Sharon said...

You hit the nail on the head - about all of that. I have lived with this man for 46 years and he is still working and measuring.
The cabinets look beautiful and you will love your kitchen. Ben is a great guy - and who was it that said those swear words???
I've heard that before too!!!!lol

Kaye said...

It looks fabulous - can't wait to see it in person. And you know me and all the projects I've tackled - the end result includes satisfaction that you did it yourself. My dad taught me all those things too and I like being able to plan and carry out a project. Except for the sunroom. No way.

Stephanie Salmon said...

Brandon and I just aren't the rennovating type. Although our kitchen could definitely use it! Especially the floor. But instead, we'll probably just wait it out and try to buy a newer house next time. :)

I'm good any day this week except Friday I have to do the Drs schedule so that day might not be good. Just call me. :)

Lee and Sharon said...

The kitchen looks great. Yes, We are just beginning to take on the summer projects. The new siding of the house starts tomorrow morning. That part is all hired. The new garage door arrives some time this week, and the sliders go away. I am doing that part, as well as re-arranging the family room to accomodate all of this.
Love Dad.

Andy said...

amen, sis

Katie said...

Dads are so smart...but man that kitchen is looking so nice. Aren't you so glad you married such a hard working, handy guy!? Way to go you guys!

Katy said...

Isn't that just exactly how projects go! We just installed hardwood floors, and of course had similar experience. It is looking GREAT! Can't wait to see more pictures!

Tiffany Johnson said...

YAY!!! I'm so excited to see the finished product!! what a project. Props to you guys for sure! That's such a big project to tackle, but you will be so happy when it's done. You'll love it. :-) I'm excited for you.

Emily said...

You are so smart and talented! It's funny cuz my mom is trying to put her house up to sale and has been sanding, varnishing, buying hinges, etc. just this last week. I haven't helped much but have seen the hard work it requires. I hope it's over for you soon!