Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Lincoln Update


Linc is already 9 months old. We had his well-check with a new pediatrician (hooray!) on Monday and reached some conclusions:

1. I have missed out BIG by going to our family doctor instead of a pediatrician these past 4 years. I can tell right away that our new office is much more detailed, careful and competent.

2. Lincoln has actually lost weight in the past 30 days and his growth has slowed majorly the past 3 months. Ok, so he only lost a few ounces this month, but that is still scary to me. Because Ben was a bean pole as a child I know my boys aren't going to be heifers or anything, but this is a little too little for me.

Weight:
6 months - 16 lb 8 oz = 75th %
9 months - 17 lb 6 oz = 8 %

Head:
6 months - 17.12 in = 90th %
9 months - 17.25 in = 12th %

Height:
6 months - 28 in = 100th %
9 months - 29.25 = 81st %

So we'll feed him more solids, at least one formula feeding each day and go back in a month for a weight check. Praying for an increase.

3. Linc is behind on some immunizations (because my last doctor has been out of them during at least two or three of Linc's well-checks) and was going to finally get caught up during this appointment. However, our new Ped held off on giving him the last shot because...

4. Linc actually has another double ear infection that I didn't even suspect. And a nasty cough. So amoxicillin is our friend for the next ten days.

4. Contrary to the opinion of our last doctor, the flat spot on the back of his head IS actually bad enough to get a consult from an orthotist and might need a helmet.

We've been trying to correct this since he was 2 months old. At his 6 month check up it was still there but not as bad. The doc said it wasn't as bad as other kid's plagiocephaly and to not worry about it.

The bummer part? Babies usually get fitted for helmets at 6 or 7 months and so his optimum growth might be over with... i.e. even if we get him fitted (and pay for) a helmet, not sure if it would do much good as it could have two months ago! Wonderful.

Well, we had the consult yesterday and his flat spot is noticeable, but not that severe, so the orthotist said it's up to us. We're waiting to hear whether or not insurance will cover it. Even if they do "cover it," our deductible is way high this year from last year... like $3,000 high. So this will be an investment if we go for it. How do you judge the cost of having a "normal" shaped head for your child?

5. From the ages & stages questionnaire we took, he's developing pretty good, but he's a bit behind in problem solving and communication areas.


Anything good come out of this appointment? It sure didn't feel like it two days ago, but looking at it now, yes.

He's still healthy.
He's moving and grooving like crazy (probably contributing to his slowed growth). He pulls him self up to standing on everything, is crawling everywhere and getting into everything. I pull something out of his mouth at least once every day.
He has crazy fuzzy blonde hair that gets comments everywhere we go.
He is so happy and smiley all the time.
He gives lots of good lip-smacking kisses and plays a cute head-shaking game. (I'll post videos later)
He still looks like a vampire with his lateral incisor teeth hanging down.
He has a brother who adores him and finally a great doctor.



(he LOVES this mesh thing)

8 comments:

Kristy said...

Yikes! I'm glad you found a new doctor after all that. Just a question though--did they double and triple check their growth charts? Because when OP was 2 months old, they accidentally charted his stats for a 4 month old and put me into a panic when he was in the 4th% for weight! Here's hoping that Linc starts growing soon. And I have no advice for the flat head/helmet decision, but I know whatever you choose will be the right choice (how's that for non-commitment?!)

Lee and Sharon said...

Also, take into consideration he has been sick off and on since Dec. When it comes to your babies you need the best there is as far as Drs. I am glad you made the change Kris. Now just get everyone well.

Stephanie Salmon said...

Oh wow, I bet the day of his appointment totally SUCKED for you. Time is a great way to gain the right perspective. I'm so glad you got a better doctor. I can't believe he's small now. I think there are places online you can check your baby's stats just to make sure they're correct. Also, I think I would go online and ask (like maybe in yahoo answers) if anyone else got a helmet for an older baby and see if it made much difference. If it was definitely going to help, I would do it. But if it's too late, don't waste your money. I know all about high deductibles. Mine is $5000 and Brandon is thinking of raising it to $7500. Yikes. Can't wait to get together soon.

Jamie said...

Blake was diagnosed with Plagiocephaly and Torticollis at 6 months. We had the same decision to make and decided against it after our doctor said at his age it most likely wouldn't do much. We did 3 months of therapy to help with his torticollis and I think that has helped. We were told that as he grew his head would get better. Blake's head is definitely not perfectly round, but it is fine. It's hard being a parent and knowing what's best for you and your baby. Good luck.

Tiffany Johnson said...

Wow Kris.. a new doctor huh? I know you've been having a tug of war with that decision for a long time. I"m glad you went for it. I wish I had better words of comfort for you. the good news is that he is super cute and I loved every minute of my Linc Snuggles I got the morning I watched him. :-)

Andy said...

oooh and I DO love those Lincoln kisses!

Katy said...

I know how frustrating appointments like that can be. I have had a lot like that. The doctors are always worried about Kylie's weight, and then they have been worried about Kelsie's motor skills. She has been working with a physical therapist since November. It stinks, but usually there are things you can do to help each situation. I would get the helmet if its not too late. Our good friends got one for their daughter and it made the BIGGEST difference. You cannot even tell now and her head was really flat. But I can't remember how old she was when she started wearing it.

Mindy, Evan and Davis said...

does he have good hair? If so, why worry about the shape of the head if it is just a tiny bit flat? Glad you found a doctor you like and is competent. We like our ped. office but there are only a few doctors that we will actually see from the office.