Monday, February 9, 2009

Foundations

(Note: this post is more for my journaling purposes. Anyone looking for a Logan post will have to wait a few more days. :-)

Today in Primary we started learning the new song for the month: How Firm a Foundation. I was so impressed with how well the kids actually picked up on the song considering it is from the Hymnal and includes some pretty difficult words. While the kids were learning the song phrase by phrase, I was able to really think about the words:


How Firm a Foundation, ye Saints of the Lord,
Is laid for your faith in his excellent word!
What more can he say than to you, he hath said,
Who unto the Savior,
Who unto the Savior,
Who unto the Savior for refuge have fled?

Fear not, I am with thee; oh be not dismayed,
For I am thy God and will still give thee aid.
I'll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand,
Upheld by my righteous, upheld by my righteous,
Upheld by my righteous omnipotent hand.

The children being born in these days are so strong they amaze me. It makes me proud to be a mom at this time and yet frightened think of the great responsibility to help build their foundations in these impressionable years.

I also love primary because it has given me the chance to really strengthen my own foundation of knowledge, beliefs and testimony. Yes, it is very trying at times, but I love being able to focus on the basic principles of the gospel that I all too often take for granted. After all the deep waters and fiery trials we have to wade through, our foundation rooted deep in Christ is what keeps us standing in the end. It was just an ah-ha moment for me, that's all.

6 comments:

Lee and Sharon said...

Every time I visit Primary I am in awe at those children. They are the strength and don't we all need comfort in the words to that song?
Kristi has always had a strong testimony - I know that for sure.
She was the one kid that when saying her bedtime prayers just went on and on and on forever.
Love you.

Tiffany Johnson said...

That's a great ah-ha moment. I love those times. Thanks for the reminders!

Unknown said...

Very cool Kris, the basics are so refreshing!

Ben said...

You are so inspiring! I love you. Keep up all the hard work in Primary!

Nelka said...

Thanks for sharing your ah-ha moment. I feel the same way when I go visit my mom in Texas. She got called to the Primary there, and a couple of times I skipped out on RS to watch her work. Between moments of insanity and total lack of focus, those little kids can share the most amazing things.

jera parker said...

Kris, I loved your "How Firm a Foundation" thoughts. This months song is also amazing and I love the little ones enthusiasm as they sing truth. Each calling I have ever had has been my favorite while I am in it but I must say that Primary is the most dear to my heart. Jera