Saturday, July 26, 2008

An Excuse to Eat S'mores

We finally got the chance to go camping Friday night with family and friends. (We went in May, but I don't count that because it was up at Bear Lake for Ben's race and it was freezing!) We camped at Hope Campground up by the Squaw Peak overlook and it actually made me feel like I was out in the boondocks despite the fact that we were only a 20 drive from our house, and barring the car alarms sounding and shouting children at the site next to us.

I grew up going camping often with my family (although you'd never guess it from my severe fire-making handicap) so each time we go it brings back lots of memories for me. This is what makes all the packing, loading, unloading, setting up, taking down, cold hard ground and smelly bathrooms worth it!

Here are some great things I
love about camping:

Toys get dirty and it is completely ok



Time to actually sit and just talk, no interruptions



Dirty hands and the chance to shove handfuls of dirt and rocks into your mouth and in your hair (ok, that 's Logan's favorite part...)


Tin foil dinners and campfire smoke that sticks to your clothes and hair



Family time


Friend time]



Fuzzy jammies and looking like a deer caught in headlights (ok, that was Solomon's favorite part)



More family time (yes, Tamara is pregnant but luckily had a blow up mattress)



Drinking hot Tang for breakfast


Being outside, beautiful scenery and appreciating God's amazing creations



Children that take 3+ hour naps after getting home


10 comments:

Andrea said...

I love this! I wish we could have been there with you all to enjoy camping! Maegs told me you all went, and I was so jealous. Logan and Kain are both so Boy...dirty hands and faces. I love that, though. Kain will be one on the 28th of Aug. I'm very excited for him! I am super excited for him to try real milk...that will be fun. I'm just happy to be done with bottles. I love sippy's.

Katy said...

How fun! Looks like everyone had a great time-especially Logan!

Lee and Sharon said...

I am so glad we went camping as a family Kris. It was worth all of the hard work and lack of sleep.
That big tent we had was so perfect for our family. Wish we could do it again. Have to say the 5th wheeler is my tent now days. Love all of your pictures.

Stephanie Salmon said...

Looks like you guys had a great time. I'm so glad we got together for lunch even though we probably kept you from packing. :)

Tiffany Johnson said...

Man, this makes me want to go camping. We use to go all the time growing up, but haven't gone in so long!!! I'm glad you had a good time.

Mindy, Evan and Davis said...

Wow Logan must be able to walk really well, that goes to show you how long it has been since i last saw him. Looks like fun, we love camping too or at least the idea of it :-) love you guys

Andy said...

yay for hot tang!

Lee and Sharon said...

Yes, we love hot tang - - especially out camping. It's a good Johnson standby.

Nick said...

I'm so jealous that you all get to go camping as one big family. Hopefully some day we can all go together. That would be lots of fun. Logan is adorable. And look at that haircut ;)

Kalli said...

Skwaa Peak right. One of Ben's favorite places.

-Nate