Sunday, June 24, 2012

Logan's First Primary Talk

Logan has given the scripture in Primary 4 times, but today he gave his first talk! He was so excited to get his assignment last Sunday. His topic was "When I dress modestly I show respect for my body as a gift from God." 

Well... we expanded "dress modestly" to mean "take care of my body" :) 

Before we had even started working on his talk he chose his own outfit that he was going to wear for his talk...



We sat down Wednesday night to talk about his topic and I wrote down some of the things he said and put it all in order. Friday night we picked out pictures that went with his words.   Saturday I drew a few little pictures on the back of each picture to clue him in to what to say.

He wanted to memorize the scriptures that he gave in Primary before, but I fully expected to help him with his talk, sentence by sentence. But lo and behold when we practiced the whole thing put together Saturday night he had it pretty much memorized, and could say each idea in his own words. Great!

He ended up having diarrhea Saturday afternoon, but we thought for sure it would clear up by morning, so I thought we could at least take him to Primary for 15 minutes for opening exercises to give his talk and then go home again.  Well come Sunday morning... still diarrhea. Ug.  But he was very much his active self, so after deliberating Ben and I decided to still take him to Primary just to give his talk and then home again (to avoid being a no-show for the Primary presidency to make up for and also because it was fresh in Logan's mind and we didn't want to drag it out all week).  

Then I saw a great opportunity for a little spiritual experience and I asked Logan, "Do you think that if we pray and ask Heavenly Father to help you be able to give your talk, do you think he'll help you?" Logan said he thought so, so we knelt and he said a very simple prayer that included being nice to his brother, asking for help to be able to give his talk, and help to do good. 

And thank goodness, I was able to point out to Logan after church that Heavenly Father did indeed answer his prayer - he didn't have diarrhea since that morning and he was able to go to give his talk and he did so great!  Don't worry, he shook no hands, didn't breathe on anyone, or sneeze on anyone. He sat by me the whole time, holding my hand.

He was a lot more nervous and timid today than he was when he gave his scriptures, but when his turn to talk came, I went up and stood with him to help turn his pictures as we had planned and he did great! He spoke loud and slow and into the mic, and I only had to prompt him a couple times.

Ben brought him back home after that and had him give his talk one more time while he was in his suit still.  So cute, and I'm glad the experience of his first talk in Primary turned out so well.

Here it is for the grandmas to see:

4 comments:

Em and Ms said...

Good job Logan! So glad he felt better to give his talk. Madelyn actually gave her first Primary talk today too! I was bad, I snuck the camera into Primary and recorded it there :) Daddy helped her.

Lee and Sharon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lee and Sharon said...

clap, clap, clap for Logan.
You did such a good job giving your first talk. Next time it will be easier and you won't be as nervous. I still get nervous too. You had some good pictures to go along with your talk. The kids like looking at pictures.
Love you Logan

Janae said...

HE is SO Cute and smart! He looks so much like both of you but especially his daddy! We need to visit you guys before you move somewhere else. So excited for your upcoming addition and like I said, it's just been too long!!! We'll be calling ya. :)