Friday, February 24, 2012

Chicken Little

You know how sometimes you think you know everything? And if not everything, then you at least feel like you know a lot, like you're in control?  You experience momentary homeostasis and it feels wonderful.  And then something happens and you realize (once again) you really are not the one in control of everything; Regardless of how much you like your plan and your ideas, they're just not happening.  Yeah, that's about where I'm at right now.

Ben just read Chicken Little to Logan last night and it felt a little familiar. You know the story... where one day an acorn fell on Chicken Little and she thought the sky was falling. So she ran to tell the king and convinced everyone along the way that the sky was falling, when really, obviously, it was not.  Familiar indeed, except in my case about 8 acorns have dropped and I think it all feels a lot heavier than it actually is.

I was at this point in my life about 6 years ago and it was a bitter point in my life. I remember wanting to send out Christmas cards and then realized I had nothing good to say about the year 2005. Obviously I'm sure good things happened in 2005 for us, but the cynical Kristi that was driving my brain at the time didn't think so.

So fast forward 6 years and here I am again, trying to figure out what I need to learn this time around. Because surely I didn't learn it the first time. I'm remembering much quicker this time around that what I think is best for me and my family  isn't always compatible with the plan of a perfect and perfectly loving Heavenly Father who sees and knows all.

This time around I am trying to have a lot more patience with each acorn that falls (even if they're all falling at once) and a lot more faith that while I might feel out of control, my life really is not.  Heavenly Father is navigating through a plan for Kristi Parker that I will learn to accept and embrace.

I read this quote from President Uchtdorf in the March Visiting Teaching message and it fit just about right:

"By patiently walking in the path of discipleship, we demonstrate to ourselves the measure of our faith and our willingness to accept God's will rather than ours."

"Patiently" being the key word there...

Yes, I know my life is not awful. I really actually have an amazingly blessed life right now.  It's just that my car has turned right and left, when I thought it should have turn left and right instead. That's all.

No, my intent for this post wasn't to complain or whine. I've opted for my blog to not be the place for that. I don't really know what my intent was.

And now this has turned into one of those posts where I don't really know what to say at the end. Like perhaps some crickets are chirping right now?

Perhaps the closer here is that I'm not a chicken. I have a lot more higher intelligence than a chicken and I know good and well that the sky really isn't falling. :)

And what's a post without a picture? Cookies and milk make everything better.



4 comments:

Stephanie Salmon said...

Oh Kristi I am so sorry for what you're going through. The perspective usually does come but not till much later. I'm sure Heavenly Father knows exactly what you need and has a plan for you.

Tamara said...

I remember feeling like that in 2010/2011. If it makes you feel any better, even though I was impatient, the Lords time really did work out better. Funny how that always happens ;)Miss you!!! It sounds to me like you need a vacation to spokane :)

Unknown said...

Exactly what I'm feeling like lately. Good to hear your positive thoughts.

Tiffany Johnson said...

Oh Kris. I'm sorry. You are right, the Lord works in mysterious ways, but that doesn't mean that sometimes things just stink. I wish I could help.