Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Calling All Singers (those with good voices and those who just try hard anyway)


While searching for sweet little baby quotes, I found this one:

"The worst feature of a new baby is its mother's singing"

-Kin Hubbard


I just laughed when I saw this be
cause I think it is completely applicable to myself! When Logan was born I think I found 50 different high-pitched voice tones that I never knew I had in me, not all of which are so easy on the ear. But despite my mostly-failing attempts, one of my favorite moments of the day is when I get to rock with Logan before nap or bedtime and sing songs with him (yes, I say with because he sometimes vocalizes along with me now... call me a mother, but it melts my heart every time!)

Before each nap I sing a few lines of Good Night Sweetheart (it is an oldies song, but I'm not sure if that's the right title or who sings it) and each night I try to squeeze in at least one verse of I am a Child of God. Then to end the day off and carry on a tradition from his family, Ben and I sing Family Prayer (a cute little song from the Primary Songbook) before we, that's right you guessed it, say our family prayers.


So this got me curious... who else out there loves to sing with their little ones despite voices good or bad (or at least loves to envision the thought of it someday) and what songs do you sing? Or what songs did your parents sing with you growing up? Don't be shy!

5 comments:

Janae said...

My mom would sing me "Little Boy Blue." It's a nursery rhyme. I still love that to this day. Thanks for the reminder--I need to sing more to Zach! Funny, but I really don't much anymore.

Lee and Sharon said...

Kris - don't forget Pony Boy,
and Rock abye - Don't you Cry.
Both from Grandma Johnson. Course, Dad always sang to you kids too - Ol' Zeke Perkins and others too. I usually sang many from the Primary book - Tell me the Stories of Jesus, I Think when I read etc.

Tiffany Johnson said...

LOL! Ahhhh Kristy, you make me laugh! Seriously laugh! I love your traditions... so good to start them early. Our family song growing up was "did you think to pray". Funny how every family ends up with a theme song! Gotta love it. We haven't found ours yet! Although, Nate keeps trying to teach Hailey the words to Barbara Ann... pretty sure that's not a childrens song or bedtime song or church song, or even a GOOD song, but he enjoys getting her to repeat it to him! :-)

Unknown said...

My dad always sang us "You Are My Sunshine" when he was waking us up in the morning. I love that song and I love to sing it to my nieces and nephews when they're upset. I think it's great you sing to Logan and I love that he sings with you! Thats so sweet.

Trinna Adams said...

My Mom always sang "Stay Awake" from Mary Poppins. It seriously brings tears to my eyes every time I sing it. It makes me want to cuddle up on my Mom's lap when everything was so sweet and I had no problems. -Ahh...to be a kid again. :)
I love singing it to my kids now though. Since my first baby was born near Christmas time, we sang her a lot of pretty Christmas Carols, and that never left. We sing Silent Night and others very often for bedtime songs!